Monday, September 24, 2012

Cough, Hack, Wheeze! A Guide to Surviving Pneumonia

Thanks for all the comments and emails sent my way during my recent hiatus from blogging. It makes a girl feel loved when she is missed. :)

The reason for my long absence is that I have been so sick that I have hardly been able to drag myself out of bed. I think I am finally on my way back to health and now I can sit down at my computer and blog about it.

My story

It all started the day after a big family wedding. I woke up exhausted and sore but attributed it to the fact that  I had spent the previous day running around in high heels while wrangling my children, all four of whom were members of the bridal party. As the day went on, my muscle aches increased and I began experiencing a vicious cycle of fever and chills.

The next day I had more of the same symptoms, but with the addition of a tight feeling in my chest. I got  noticeably winded after completing routine tasks.  Four days later my fever had finally broken, but I was still experiencing shortness of breath. Hubby Dear is an MD and had wanted me to get a chest X-ray to rule out pneumonia by about day two of my illness. After four days of misery, I finally listened to him and got an X-ray taken. The verdict: I did indeed have a bad case of bacterial pneumonia.


A chest X-ray showing pneumonia
Image from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occult_pneumonia

Since my pneumonia was bacterial in origin, antibiotics were indicated. I was prescribed a Z-pack (azithromycin). I started to feel better and by the time I finished the last dose of the antibiotic, I would say that I was at about 90% of normal. Unfortunately, my coughing and shortness of breath started to increase again over the next week. I was then prescribed another antibiotic, Levaquin (levofloxacin). I'm on day two of this round of antibiotics and I really hope this finally kills off all the baddies that are making me miserable!


Pneumonia is not for wimps 

If you look at the leading causes of death for Americans 100 years ago, you'll find that pneumonia and influenza ranked at the very top of the list. Having experienced pneumonia, I believe it. Here's what you need to know about it should you face pneumonia in a SHTF scenario.  

What is pneumonia?

Simply put, pneumonia is a lung infection. Pneumonia can be caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi, or even dust or chemicals you breathe in. Anyone can get it, but it is very commonly acquired when your body's defenses are low, such as after you get a cold or the flu. We believe that I came down with the flu and that I caught pneumonia as a secondary infection.

Although anyone can get it, some people are more at risk of pneumonia. If you smoke, are debilitated, have existing lung conditions, suffer from an autoimmune disease, or are recovering from surgery, you are at risk.

Diagnosing pneumonia

Hubby Dear suspected that I had pneumonia based on the physical symptoms I described above as well as the way they presented. There had also been a rash of young, healthy people in our area coming down with sudden onset pneumonia. The tell-tale sign was when he listened to my lungs. I call it "Rice Krispie lungs" - they are continuously snapping, crackling, and popping.


A chest X-ray is an important tool for diagnosis. Not only does it confirm that the patient is suffering from pneumonia, but it also shows whether the pneumonia is bacterial or viral in origin. Obviously in  TEOTWAWKI, you may not be able to obtain a chest X-ray.


How to treat pneumonia

If your pneumonia is bacterial in origin, you're going to need to have antibiotics to treat it. You should be stockpiling a variety of antibiotics, either via prescription from a sympathetic doctor or with fish antibiotics. Here's some helpful links about fish antibiotics you might want to check out:
http://armageddonmedicine.net/?p=6490 
http://armageddonmedicine.net/?p=6532 
http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/07/a_doctors_thoughts_on_antibiot.html

As my experience attests, not all antibiotics will work for every infection. You should have a variety on hand in case the first kind doesn't do the trick.


Otherwise, the treatment for pneumonia is pretty simple.
  • Rest. You need to have someone on hand to help with chores, children, etc. My bout with pneumonia confirmed for me the necessity of having a group of like-minded people that you can trust to help in times of need. I was flat on my back, unable to cook, clean, or even do my chicken chores. And the thing about pneumonia is that it commonly can take people up to a month to fully recover. 
  • Take medications like Advil or Tylenol to control your fever. 
  • Drink lots of water.
  • Rest. Did I mention that?   


My recommendations for you: 

  • Consider getting the flu shot every year. Since many cases of pneumonia develop after a person has the flu, preventing the flu will prevent pneumonia. Every member of my family gets the flu shot - except me since I am allergic to it. I'm the one who got pneumonia. Coincidence? 
  • There is a pneumonia vaccine for young children and adults in certain risk groups. Read about it here: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/pneumo/default.htm
  • Start a (legal) stockpile of antibiotics and learn how to use them properly. 
  • If you smoke, stop! Smoking is a risk factor for pneumonia and pretty much every other disease out there.
  • Remember that pneumonia and influenza were top killers 100 years ago. If we experience a massive societal disruption, I expect they will become so again. 

Wheezingly yours,

Emily 

19 comments:

  1. Emily,
    So glad you are back and feeling better!
    Mrs. W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For Download Click Here: Hackerscontent.com

      For Download Click Here: Hackerscontent.com

      For Download Click Here: Hackerscontent.com

      For Download Click Here: Hackerscontent.com

      For Download Click Here: Hackerscontent.com























































































































      For Download Click Here: Hackerscontent.com

      For Download Click Here: Hackerscontent.com

      For Download Click Here: Hackerscontent.com

      For Download Click Here: Hackerscontent.com

      For Download Click Here: Hackerscontent.com























































































































      Delete
  2. I am also glad to see you back and feeling better! I just figured between the kids, chickens, and garden ... you were super busy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are feeling better!!

    Do you mind if I provide a link to this posting from my blog, FrugalPrep?
    http://frugalprep.blogspot.com/

    I plan on a posting about the pneumo vaccine, probably tomorrow, as a preventive preparedness action. You have covered the facts about pneumonia, and the unpleaasantness of the experience very well. I first took the pneumovax when I was about 45, suffering from chronic bronchitis and sinusitis and it changed my life!

    Thanks, MM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post. I am having your exact same experience - diagnosed with pneumonia yesterday, and I'm following the exact same experience my daughter had over thanksgiving. Keeping fingers crossed that hubby doesn't fall next. The difference between us is that daughter and I DID have the flu shot, and hubby, who is still healthy, did not. I think this was a strain not in the vaccine. Anyway, good information here, and hoping for your continued good health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura,

      Pneumonia isn't fun. :( I hope your recovery is swift. It's been three months and I still have lingering lung issues from my bout with pneumonia.

      Emily

      Delete
  5. Indeed, pneumonia isn't fun. I had it when I was little and I was hospitalized. We thought it was just a simple case of cold and fever, then the next thing I knew, I was coughing up blood. We were really scared! Fortunately, I recovered after two weeks. But I was so traumatized by that event.

    Sonja Howard @ FamilyMedicineOfSouthBend.com/Physicians (Brian A Jacobs, M.D.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a sign of gratitude for how my husband was saved from Pneumonia , i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My husband was diagnosed of Pneumonia in 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he always have headaches , and he always complain of sore throat . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to Pneumonia . I never imagined Pneumonia has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my husband will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my husband used it and in one months he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life. Pneumonia has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks admin for such an informative blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine use too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine,I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that i have received my herbal medicine so he instructs me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cure my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituahebalcenter.com. Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
    He listed to that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer, Alzheimer's disease,Autism,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, there very cool web site. Everyone should read.I’m glad to find so many useful information here within the
    put up. For more amazing info everybody can find from this link
    What Is Pneumonia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw the fear in my husband and children's eyes when I told them about my condition then they start to find solution on their own to help my condition.I am an 59 now who was diagnose COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but i was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of total cure herbal foundation my husband bought, totalcureherbsfoundation .c om has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair any lung conditions and cure you totally with their natural organic herbs,it class products at affordable prices because how awful it is with this lung dictions . I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life, certainly total cure herbs is the formula to get over Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m here to testify about what Dr Godwin did for me. I have been suffering from (GENITAL HERPES VIRUS) disease for the past 4 years and had constant pain and inching, especially in my private part. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be cured someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago I came across a testimony of Rose Smith on the internet testifying about a Man called Dr Godwin on how he cured her from 7 years HSV 2. And she also gave the email address of this man, advise anybody to contact him for help on any kind of diseases that he would be of help, so I emailed him telling him about my (HSV 2) he told me not to worry that I was going to be cured!! Well, I never doubted him I have faith he can cure me too,, Dr Godwin prepared and sent me Healing Oil, Soap, roots and herbs which I took. In the first one week, I started experiencing changes all over me, after four weeks of using his Roots/ Herbs, Oil and Soap, I was totally cured. no more inching , pain on me anymore as Dr Godwin assured me. After some time I went to my doctor to do another test behold the result came out negative. So friends my advise is if you have such disease or know anyone who suffers from it or any other disease like HPV, HBV, HIV, ALS, HBP, CANCER etc. you can contact Dr.godwin for help via email drgodwinsolutionhome@gmail.com whatsapp +2348054615060

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you are looking for a GREAT SPELL CASTER that can help you solve all your problems. You can Email him if you need help. dranuge@gmail.com 
    1 Getting your lover or husband back.

    2 Money spell 

    3 Protection spell. 

    4 Voodoo spell 

    5 Getting your scam money back 

    6 Pregnancy spell. 

    7 Love spell 

    8 Marriage spell 

    9 Cancer spell 

    10 Hiv/aids spell 

    11 Loose weight and body spell.

    12 Lottery spell.

    YOU CAN contact Dr anuge on his whatsapp or call +2348164866838   or gmail/hangout dranuge@gmail.com  

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you need to increase your credit score?
    Do you intend to upgrade your school grade?
    Do you want to hack your cheating spouse Email, whatsapp, Facebook, instagram or any social network?
    Do you need any information concerning any database.
    Do you need to retrieve deleted files?
    Do you need to clear your criminal records or DMV?
    Do you want to remove any site or link from any blog?
    you should contact this hacker, he is reliable and good at the hack jobs..
    contact : cybergoldenhacker at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello everyone, I am so glad to write this article today to tell the world how Dr Iyoha cured my (HSV VIRUS),I have been detected with (HSV-1&2) since 6years ago, ever since then my life has been incomplete bizarre and agony, I have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by several doctors, but it didn't cure my (HSV VIRUS) neither did it reduce the pain, until a certain day i was checking for solution on the internet, then miraculously i came across Dr Iyoha the powerful herbalist that cure numerous individuals (HSV-1 & HSV-2, HPV 1&2 INFECTIONS). Then I contacted him and explained everything to him, and he prepared a herbal medicine for me that cured my (HSV-1&2) disease totally after taking his herbal medicine as instructed. I'm so happy and glad that I'm back to normal again. So viewers why waiting and being in pain when there's someone like Dr Iyoha that cured different diseases. So contact him via email : dr.iyohasolutiontemple@yahoo.com or whatsApp him on +1 8572288347 or call / text him : +1 407 337 9869.,,THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  14. HOW ME AND MY FAMILY WAS TOTALLY CURED FROM COPD,CHRONIC PANCREATITIS,IDIOPHATIC PULMONARY FIBROSIS,

    I was diagnosed of COPD disease in January 2014,then my mom, diagnosis of IDIOPATHIC PULMONARY FIBROSIS(IPF) and my father was diagnosed of CHRONIC PANCREATITIS.. Me and my family were so frustrated till one day my father came across a forum where so many people were writing about Dr Ovie, a herbal Dr, who sell herbal medicines to cure all kinds of diseases, We contacted this herbal doctor via his email ovie.miraclemedicine1@gmail.com and bought herbal medicine from him. He sent it to me through courier service and I received it within 2days. i used it as instructed and i and my family was totally cured of those disease within 30days of usage, all thanks to Dr Ovie.is three months now we are living free and happy, please viewers this testimony is real …call or whats app Dr Ovie on +2349056393169

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was once a patient diagnosed with IPF, My symptoms started when I had bronchitis. I had several bouts throughout 2015. I had an appointment with a respiratory consultant, and he carried out a number of tests including an X-ray and CT scan. I was told I had pulmonary fibrosis. I went home to digest this information and decided to take a second opinion, I went to The Royal Brompton Hospital and underwent a series of tests including a bronchoscopy. This time I was told I had hypersensitivity pneumonitis, a condition that falls under the umbrella term of pulmonary fibrosis. We took part in a research project which involved a two day trip to Florida to Lung Health & Cancer Diseases Centre. We had the opportunity to meet with Dr Odia, A highly recommended herbalist with scientific medicine, I began healing herbs from Dr Odia, MD, who specializes in internal and pulmonary herbal medicine and in three months I was cured completely. It’s also crucial to learn as much as you can about your diagnosis. Seek options find out about what’s out there that could help. contact Dr Odia via: www.facebook.com/DrOdiathenaturopathic/ ( WhatsApp +17278553511 ) He cure IPF Diseases and all kind of Lungs Disease.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Getting rib of Herpes virus wasn't easy, I came across Dr voodoo on how he
    has cured so many people from herpes and other illness so I decided to give
    him a try, now am permanently cured using the natural herbs medication and
    cleansing supplement sent by Dr voodoo no more herpes, contact Dr voodoo
    WhatsApp number +2348140120719 also e-mail him at:
    voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete