Monday, November 7, 2011

My Conflicted Mind

Sometimes I feel like I live between two different worlds and I can't tell which one is reality.

The first world is the one explored in books like Patriots, Survivors,and One Second After. The end of the world as we know it is discussed as fact on many of my regular Internet haunts and, increasingly, in the mainstream media. In this world, it is apparent that the old ways are passing away and something new - and quite possibly sinister - is approaching.
One Second After still haunts me
The second world is optimistic and sparkles with cheerful consumerism. According to this version of reality, there may be slight bumps in the road, but life will always be good in the US of A. Nothing really bad can ever happen here. The comfortable lifestyle that my family enjoys is secure because we have plenty of that green paper stuff that passes for wealth.

One world urges me to focus on preparedness. NOW. The other entreats me to stop being a killjoy and start planning my next vacation. Which world reflects the true reality?

My guess is that reality is somewhere between those two visions. I pray that we never have a total breakdown of society such as that depicted in the aforementioned books, but I do believe that harder times are coming. I feel led by the Holy Spirit to prepare, specifically in the area of food storage. That is reason enough for a Christian to venture into prepping, however, it's not always easy. It gets very tempting to give up when I think that I could be remodeling my kitchen instead of buying MREs!

Do any of you struggle with conflicted feelings regarding preparedness? Why do YOU prepare? 

5 comments:

  1. I posted something similar on my blog last week. I definitely feel torn between two worlds about prepping. My issue has a lot to do with fear of the future versus that I don't want to give up a lot of my life's little luxuries. I am trying to strike a balance between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel exactly the way you do...caught between... I wrote about it here - http://prepperwebsite.com/about

    Peace
    Todd
    http://www.prepperwebsite.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel exactly the same. If ye are prepared, ye shall have not fear, has been my motto for years,however what I'm feeling feels more evil and dark. I can't seem to shake it. I think I'm more fearful now that I have grown adult children, two in the military and a third trying to get in,two married with wives who don't seem to want to learn about being prepared, one son has a son (5) and a daughter coming in Jan. What will their future be like. There are times when I dream of having them back in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too feel the same way. Thanks for the titles on the books, haven't read these yet.
    Blessings
    Diane
    www.cabininthewoods-diane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the good recomendations! Not that I am trying to scare myself and get all paranoid about what might happen, but I do think it is good to know about such things and be prepared for what might happen. It is better to be prepared and not need your supplies than to need them and not have them.

    ReplyDelete