Monday, May 31, 2010

Love and the Married Prepper

Hubby Dear and I have been together quite a while and we rarely disagree over much of consequence. My new preparedness "obsession", however, is another story.

I'll admit it - I can have a pretty anxious personality. I am a glass-is-half-full, anything-that-can-go-wrong-will-go-wrong kind of gal. Hubby Dear thinks "prepping" is just another one of my neuroses and that I should just chill out and stop worrying.

The other facet of his argument is that we are working hard at becoming debt free. We have paid off something like $50,000 in the last year. Our only remaining debt is a lease we have on Hubby Dear's vehicle, and we are saving up the money to pay that off this fall. I agree that getting debt free is really important. Heck, that would count as financial preparedness, wouldn't it?

The problem is that Hubby Dear doesn't want to spend money that I thought we had budgeted for prepping. He'd rather put it towards paying off his vehicle. Here's how I see it: if we spend the money to prep, it will delay paying off his vehicle for a month at the most. If SHTF between now and then, however, those few months I was able to prepare might make the difference between survival and, well, not surviving.

Hubby Dear just doesn't think the SHTF will occur. I hope he's right. In the meantime, we'll be prepping. I used a little bit of wifely persuasion to help him see my way. After all, a happy wife equals a happy life! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment