Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Month One Preps, Part Two: Vehicle Emergency Kits

Having survival supplies in your vehicle is important. Hubby Dear works long hours at work and would likely be away from home should an emergency occur. I am home with our four offspring most of the time, but with my luck I'd be at a ballgame or at the local megamart when SHTF.

I bought a few items from Emergency Essentials to throw in the back of Hubby Dear's vehicle. They should enable him to make it home on foot or survive in his car for a while. 99% of the time he is alone in his car, so I only included enough supplies for one person.


Contained an a plastic tub:

  1. Aqua Literz - Enough water for one person for one day. I have read reports that bottled water isn't safe to store in hot vehicles, but this boxed water should be OK.
  2. Premier Bottled Emergency Kit - Packed in a water bottle, it contains many different survival items including a poncho, water purification tablets, first aid kit, etc.

  3. Emergency Road Side Kit - Jumper cables, tools, etc. My one complaint about this product is that the plastic container it is housed in is pretty flimsy.
  4. Tri-fold shovel - A shovel could be handy in an emergency. There were times this past winter that Hubby Dear really could have used one.
  5. Some Millennium bars - 400 kcal each, these food bars last up to 5 years and can stand the heat of a vehicle during summer.

I also want to make a more extensive emergency kit for our family mini-van. I went ahead and bought a shovel and Emergency Roadside Kit. The problem I'm encountering is that our family fills up our vehicle already. Add in a typical load of groceries and I simply don't have room for an emergency kit. I'd like to store items under the seats, but nothing will fit underneath there. I'm still thinking of the solution to this problem and welcome ideas.

1 comment:

  1. The ultimate survival tool has arrived…

    It chops, digs, starts fires, cuts, navigates and so much more…

    In fact this work of art has 15 essential tools in one tactical design.

    It’s called the KONNEX ET15 and when you see it you’ll realize how much you actually need it.

    Customers are buying it to:

    Keep in their car when 4-wheel driving
    Going camping
    Hunting
    Fishing
    Dirt bike riding
    Hiking
    And just about any other outdoor adventure you can think of…

    When you see it I guarantee you’re going to think of all the situations where this tool could have come in incredibly handy!

    It’s also made by EVATAC, so you know the quality is second to none.

    >> See what everybody is raving about here

    To a safe future,

    [Wade Lightheart]

    ReplyDelete